Sunday 29 September 2013

Who Wants Ladyboys? Not Thai Guys It Would Seem...

Living in Bangkok I see a whole lot of ladyboys.

Foreign visitors to Thailand are often left open mouthed at their first sighting of a particularly hot ladyboy.

Once you've been living here a while, you get used to seeing ladyboys everywhere. My 7-11 employs one on the checkout. I once used a ladyboy staffed currency exchange booth. I also bought my new shoes from a ladyboy.

But one thing puzzles me - why don't Thai guys actually like ladyboys?

Well maybe they do, but in over 3 months in Bangkok now, I've NEVER seen a Thai guy walking round town with a ladyboy by his side.

I've seen plenty of farangs and Japanese guys with ladyboy partners. Near where I live there are a couple of foreigners who have particularly hot girlfriends - both of which are ladyboys.

And there are whole parts of Thailand devoted to foreigners who like ladyboys.

Here in Bangkok, Nana Plaza is pretty much given over to ladyboys these days:



Japanese guys tend to prefer the places on the bottom floor, farangs are more catered for on the first and second floors.

And while I was away partying in Pattaya, I spotted a bar catering for Middle Eastern guys who like incredibly loud music. This bar was exclusively staffed by ladyboys:




Ladyboys are also a common sight in my favourite Middle Eastern restaurant in Nana. It's safe to say that Middle Eastern guys are intrigued by the exotic.

So ladyboys seem universally popular, except maybe with guys who actually live in a country that's actually home to a lot of ladyboys. Strange, but I'm happy to stand corrected if you know otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment